May 5, 2020
The link below is a response letter to Garry Burkart (Secretary Treasurer of RWDSU) from Don Morgan, Minister of Labour Relations and Workplace Safety.
Don Morgan – Minister of Labour Relations and Workplace Safety response
April 13, 2020
Please click the link below to find out information regarding the Dues and Assessments you pay
SJBRWDSU UNION DUES AND ASSESSMENTS EXPLAINED
April 8, 2020
The Saskatchewan Employment Act Regarding the Right to Refuse Dangerous Work
All Employees still working during COVID 19 please read The Saskatchewan Employment Act regarding The Right To Refuse Dangerous Work
Sunday, April 5, 2020
Apply for CERB please see the link below
Information to apply for CERB
April 3, 2020
March 25, 2020
Due to the economic concerns regarding COVID-19 the SJBRWDSU has decided not to give out scholarships this year. Sorry for any inconvenience.
March 24, 2020
NEWS RELEASE FROM SFL March 23, 2020
032320 News Release – Economic plan must focus on workers
A Facebook post from Trent Wotherspoon
With so many people facing lay-offs or reduced income as the end of the month approaches, we’re calling for immediate financial aid to Saskatchewan people.
Rather than creating various categories of people who will be eligible for financial aid, the province needs to prioritize speed with a far-reaching aid package.
From our call for action today:…“The plans released to date leave too many falling through the cracks. To keep our economy afloat and to ensure people are able to cover their basic needs, we need the province to take quick action,” said Official Opposition Leader Dr. Ryan Meili. “We are calling on Scott Moe to provide immediate direct support for people in Saskatchewan.”
Meili also questioned the decision to allow employers to lay off workers without notice or pay-in-lieu and no certainty of being rehired. While those layoffs may make workers eligible for EI, over 500,000 Canadians applied for EI last week, which will cause delays for people in receiving benefits.
“The decision to allow lay-offs without notice or pay-in-lieu will leave workers without any way to pay their bills as they wait for EI,” said Meili. “We cannot leave people without any money in their pockets in this crisis. We are calling for fast action to help people.
“As the Official Opposition, we are proposing these measures with the health and well-being of Saskatchewan people as our top priority, and we stand ready to help the government develop the best plan to support Saskatchewan people during this difficult time.” Thanks to so many reaching out and sharing your challenges at this time of terrible uncertainty and challenge. I’ll continue to do all I can in my role as an MLA to advocate, propose solutions and fight for you at this urgent time of need.
Please be advised that regarding AIL Representatives meeting with our members SJBRWDSU agrees to “virtual” membership contact. There will be no in-home visits by AIL agency Representatives. Good day members,
Coughlin & Associates office is closed due to COVID 19, they are taking no phone calls. If you need to discuss anything please go to the link below where you can e-mail them your questions.
Dental Claims – firstname.lastname@example.org
Pension – email@example.com
A notice from Garry Burkart, Secretary/Treasurer of the Sask Joint Board RWDSU
GREETINGS TO YOU ALL:
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS THAT I AM TAKING IN ORDER TO SAFEGUARD THE HEALTH AND SAFETY OF OUR STAFF AND ALL OF OUR MEMBERS ACROSS THE PROVINCE OF SASKATCHEWAN.
Due to COVID-19, the SJBRWDSU is cancelling all in-person meetings, and only proceeding with crucial Union business via telephone, email and or conference call if required.
- All Local Union Meetings and Union membership meetings will now be cancelled until at least September 2020 or until the Public Health officials give the clearance to proceed with normal activities.Our members still need to have their rights and benefits protected under the terms of their Collective Agreements.
- Therefore, any grievances that need to be filed and/or referred to Arbitration shall receive the right to proceed. We will manage those files with legal opinions where applicable. The SJBRWDSU will pay the costs of those requested legal opinions out of the Legal/Org Fund. However, I want you all to use common sense in dealing with grievance related issues and in particular in situations when it comes to employers issuing layoff notices and issue of pay in lieu of notice where that issue may come up. When members are facing layoff situations then they should be filing for Employment Insurance immediately.
- All other Local Union business can be done by way of telephone, email and/or conference call by the Local Union Officers and the designated Staff Representative(s) for the Local Union and a particular shop.
- I think you will have a hard time scheduling Arbitrations for the balance of 2020 and may be looking into 2021.
- Our offices will have 1 person a day in each office to comply with social distancing. The remainder of Staff Representatives and Administrative Assistants will work out of their homes in Saskatoon and Regina until further notice and will conduct all their responsibilities by way of telephone, email and/or conference call.
- The Saskatchewan Joint board Retail and Department Store Union (SJBRWDSU) is adjourning all in-person meetings and will urge all of you to practice social distancing until further notice or until the Public Health Officials lift or relax all the restrictions. I have, as your Secretary/Treasurer (SJBRWDSU) decided to take this comprehensive action in light of the changing conditions over the last few days, things are changing by the hour across Canada and the province of Saskatchewan. This will enable the SJBRWDSU to continue to safeguard all of you, as our members and friends, to maintain a healthy and safe workplace.
- Further, effective immediately and until further notice, access to the SJBRWDSU offices in Regina and Saskatoon is restricted. Communication with the SJBRWDSU should be conducted via telephone or email and parties are encouraged to file documents electronically during this time. Documents that would be hand-delivered for filing with the SJBRWDSU offices can be placed in an envelope and placed through the SJBRWDSU mail slot in the both the Regina office and the outside mailbox in the Saskatoon office.
We will continue to monitor the situation as it develops and we ask that you remain patient with the SJBRWDSU. In the meantime, keep in mind that we are all in this time of crisis together and need to work as a team more than ever.
We will get through this medical crisis and we will come out of it stronger and more united than we have ever been before. Please keep in mind that the only enemy here is COVID 19 and we are being told by Public Health Officials and our governments its going to get worse before it gets better.
In Solidarity and stay Safe,
Saskatchewan Joint Board Retail,Wholesale and Department Store Union (SJBRWDSU)
Sask Finance Minister could make ends meet by curbing wasteful spending…click here for the article
Send a letter to your MLA and to your city/town council calling on the Sask Govt to stop privatizing our province.
It’s easy. Click here: https://ownyoursaskatchewan.ca/
SaskForward is a coalition of civil society organizations and individuals who believe that the people of this province deserve a say in the “transformational change” promised by the Saskatchewan government. Please go to the website to find out more www.saskforward.ca SaskForward is looking for submissions – check out the variety of submissions they have received and add your own!!! Be a voice, not an echo! Albert Einstein
GET INVOLVED!!! Check out the Schools, Conferences and Conventions